Vitamins and Minerals for a Healthy Prostate
One of the ways a man can make certain that he gets and maintain a healthy prostate is by making sure they are not vitamin or mineral deficient.
Below are 8 Vitamins and Minerals that have been shown to have a positive effect on the prostate.
The very best way to make sure that you get an adequate supply of these is to eat a healthy diet.
1. Beta-Carotene - Research has shown that beta-carotene intake was linked to a strong correlation with reduced prostate cancer in Japanese men.
2. Magnesium. Most people do not maintain proper levels of magnesium. For this reason, many people would greatly benefit from supplementing their diet with magnesium.
3. Selenium Initial evidence from the Nutritional Prevention of Cancer (NPC) trial suggests that selenium supplementation reduces the risk of prostate cancer among men with normal baseline PSA (prostate specific antigen) levels, and low selenium blood levels.
4. Vitamin K2 An increased intake of vitamin K2 may reduce the risk of prostate cancer by 35 per cent, suggest results from the European Prospective Investigation into Cancer and Nutrition (EPIC).
5. Vitamin B6 Vitamin B6 benefits more of our body processes than any other mineral or vitamin.
6. Vitamin C is a powerful antioxident and one that every man should take for a healthy prostate.
7. Vitamin E A clinical trial of vitamin E and ß-carotene supplementation for lung cancer prevention among male smokers in Finland recently reported an unexpected, strong protective effect of vitamin E against prostate cancer incidence and mortality.
8. Zinc In prostatitis, zinc levels are only ONE-TENTH of those in a normal prostate. (Fair and Heston,1977; Pfeiffer, 1978) One time-tested prostate remedy is eating pumpkin seeds. It is no surprise that pumpkin seeds are a good source of zinc
A Word About Supplements:
Even a slight search online will bring up page after a page of EXPENSIVE 'Miracle Cure' Prostate Supplements.
I feel many of these sites are simply taking advantage of the desperation that a man feels when his doctors informs him that "You may have prostate cancer"
My own research has proven that many of the supplements that people are charging hundreds of dollars a month for fall short in three vital areas:
1. They offer NO clinical proof or FDA proof that they work.
2. The EXACT same supplements are readily available at a fraction of the cost at your local health shop or supermarket.
3. They often ignore the need for changing your diet and exercise. Tha fact remains that if you eat like a pig and never exercise, all the supplements in the world are unlikely to do you much good!
You owe it to yourself to find out all you can about how to get and maintain a healthy prostate but make sure you don't get sidetracked by hype along the way...Vitamins For Prostate Health